Sunday, December 03, 2006

In Loving Memory of Grandpa Stewart


On Tuesday November 28th, we lost a very loved member of our Stewart family, my Grandpa Bob. Sometimes it's hard to believe that he is gone and life has changed and will forever be different without him here. There are times I find myself thinking about him and I can clearly see his face and the way he would smirk when he was amused at something said. Last memories, words spoken and stories shared are things I will cherish and remember for a lifetime. In only the recent months, I can remember visits, the garage sale at his house where he refused to let us move furniture on our own, watching him teach my husband how to tie knots, and sharing stories of his adventures in the Royal Canadian Air Force. He sure loved to share his life with others and I loved to hear about it too! Those were special times.

For our wedding he passed down to me a quilt made by his mother, my Great-Grandma Caroline in 1934. This quilt had never been used and had remained fold and lined with tissue to keep it crisp and new. It was beautiful, just like new, but better....it was a piece of family, a piece of our history and I was the honored one to receive it. Inside the card was a handwritten letter, where he insists that although it has never been used that we enjoy it and use it as much as we would like. Grandpa love to share, but what he loved to share the most was the history of our family and in my opinion, that is the best gift of all.

In the summer, Grandpa gave all his grandchildren the begining stages of his memoirs typed out, which he began writing a few years ago. Attached to the front is a personal letter that I have not been able to read since his death. Yet, I am so glad I have this piece of history, this memory of him, sharing his stories, just like he loved to do.

I love you Grandpa!

3 Comments:

Blogger Catrina said...

Thinking of you.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

hey katie, so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandpa, but it is also good to hear of the wonderful memories and stories you have of him. thank-you for sharing it with us and i will continue praying for you as you grieve his loss. may the Lord comfort you and may you feel him near. love you lots!

12:23 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I know first hand how hard it is to loose someone close to you. I am glad to see how positve you are and how thankful you are for all the memories you have.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home